RCD Espanyol was founded on 28 October 1900 in Barcelona by a group of engineering students, including Ángel Rodríguez Ruiz. Unlike its Catalan neighbour across the city, the club has long cultivated an identity rooted in Spanish rather than Catalan symbolism. In 1912, King Alfonso XIII granted the club the royal title "Real", giving rise to its current name and adding a crown to its crest.
The club's blue-and-white striped colours were chosen in homage to the coat of arms of the medieval admiral Roger de Lluria, who protected the Mediterranean interests of the Crown of Aragon. Supporters and players alike are nicknamed Periquitos (Parakeets), a moniker deeply woven into the club's identity.
Espanyol's honours include four Copa del Rey titles, won in 1929, 1940, 2000 and 2006. The 2000 final, a 2-1 win over Atlético Madrid, opened the most successful decade in the club's history. On the European stage, Espanyol twice reached the UEFA Cup final, in 1987-88 and 2006-07, finishing runners-up on both occasions.
For 74 years, starting in 1923, the club played its home matches at the Estadi de Sarrià, one of Catalonia's most atmospheric grounds, demolished after the team's departure. Since 2010, Espanyol has played at the modern RCDE Stadium on the outskirts of Barcelona. The legendary Alfredo Di Stéfano ended his playing career at the club, while Raúl Tamudo remains its all-time top scorer with 129 goals in 389 appearances.
For more than a century, RCD Espanyol has stood as the second footballing power in Barcelona, and its matches against FC Barcelona, known as the Barcelona Derby, remain among the most passionate fixtures in Catalan football.