Sunderland AFC was founded in 1879, initially as Sunderland and District Teachers' Association Football Club, a team formed by local schoolteachers; a year later membership was opened to non-teachers and the club adopted its current name. Sunderland quickly became one of the leading forces in English football, winning six national championships โ in 1892, 1893, 1895, 1902, 1913 and 1936.
The club also won the FA Cup twice, in 1937 and again in 1973, when a Second Division Sunderland side beat Leeds United, one of the strongest clubs of the era, in a result still regarded as one of the greatest upsets in the competition's history.
The nickname The Black Cats did not accompany the club from the very beginning โ it was only officially adopted in 2000, following a fan vote, although the black cat motif had appeared in the club's symbolism since the early 20th century. Earlier, during the club's time at Roker Park, supporters and players were known as the "Rokerites".
The club's current home is the Stadium of Light, opened in 1997 on the site of the former Monkwearmouth Colliery. The ground's name, like the Davy lamp memorial standing outside it, references the region's mining past. The club's red-and-white colours have for generations remained a significant part of the identity of a city where football has long held a special place in local culture.